Friday, January 8, 2010
Swimming
Lilli and I went swimming today. We are enrolled in swim classes at the Greenlake pool and today was lesson 1. It turned out to be more stressful than fun! We were running a little late due to naps and parking was tough despite the rain, which I had hoped would dissuade the lake walkers and joggers. Not so, since the car park was overflowing. However we waited in the car, holding up traffic, until a spot became available. Hey, it was raining and I have a baby. People can wait! I walked into the changing room and found chaos with Mums, toddlers and babies everywhere. Lilli and I found a tiny patch of floor space in a corner and I wedged her on the floor between my knees and wrestled her out of her clothes. It took me about 3 tries to get the swim pants on since I couldn't figure out which side was the front! All the other kids, apart from 1, were sporting swimsuits over the top of their swim pants. Oh well! There will be time enough for cute swimsuits. In the water Lilli didn't even notice her change in surroundings. She was avidly interested in all the other children and their Mummies/Daddies/Grannies. However they were doing their best to avoid us! Lilli was hacking loudly and despite my attempts to pass it off as pool water inhalation, concerned parents were throwing me accusatory glances (I knew they were thinking "why bring your sick kid here!") and edging away from me. I used it as an excuse not to be social. I would like to chat with other Mums but I hate meeting people in those types of situations. I'm terrible at small talk and have no idea how to start a conversation with a stranger. Not even when we're sharing the same experience!! To make it worse, I was irritated with myself and my anxiety and shyness since I wasn't being the role model for Lilli that I would like to be. However, Lilli made friends with a rather grotty and independent rubber duck which would float away as soon as it was free of her hands and mouth. It's tough holding on to a wriggling baby, sing songs with actions and keep the duck close by! Of course Lilli would loudly protest the duck's frequent freedom dashes!! Getting dried and dressed wasn't too bad. I gave up on making sure Lilli was completely dry. Damp was good enough. But she did enjoy the shower, though was trying her hardest to eat the hand-held shower head!! I hope it becomes more fun and less farce!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment