Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Bath Times with Daddy

To Lilli,
from Daddy x

The bath time ritual begins with Mommy laying out PJs and towels on the bed and drawing the bath. You and I go over to the changing table where you play with my hair while I undress you. Naked and wriggling in my arms we pass by the bathroom mirror on our way to the bath. We briefly stop and gaze at each others smiling faces. You like the mirror. We splash into the tub and away you go, kicking and splashing and trying to reach your little rubber ducky that is being tossed around in the waves at your feet. Your feet, legs and bottom are easy to wash because when I give you the rubber ducky, which you promptly stuff in your mouth to chew, your legs temporarily stop kicking. Your arms, on the other hand, are so strong that it takes all my might to straighten them and wash the little folds in your armpits. I trick you into a position where I can wash your neck by holding the cup that I use to wash your hair above your head. You don't like it when I soap your neck. Of course after seeing the cup there is only so long before I have to give it to you. You take it from my hands and rush it straight to your gummy mouth. After a few more chews on the cup and splashes with kicking legs we dash, dripping, into the bedroom where I plop you down on your towel on the bed. As I begin drying you the mad girl emerges. You begin panting, fervently gnawing on your foot and making all sorts of strange noises! Shrieks, sizzles, coos. I race to ensure your folds and creases are dry before you begin to tire of lying on the bed. You flip over and try to make a break for it. If you are dry I leave you wriggling on your belly and give you a massage to help you relax and dissipate your frenetic energy before bed. I liberally slather on Burt's Bees butt paste and wrap your bottom up in a diaper. By the time I'm wrestling your squirmy limbs into your pajama's you've figured out that it is bedtime. You are not impressed. The final straw is when I try to discreetly maneuver you into your sleep blanket. By now you've usually had it with me and are telling me so! Mommy awaits and I drop you into her lap for a last snack before bed.

No comments: