Life is feeling slightly more under control. Until our outing to the toy store this afternoon Lilli and I spent these past few calm days at home. I'm a little apprehensive to announce this since it could change overnight, but some semblance of a routine is appearing. It begins with some early morning fun between Jon and Lilli while I grab a few extra minutes of sleep. Lilli then naps for her obligitory 45 minutes while I quickly breakfast and shower, saying good bye to yet more hair (why couldn't the grey hair fall out?). Her waking protests call me to her side (hopefully dry and dressed, though there have been times when I've rushed from the shower mid-lather) and there I remain for 45 minutes more rocking and shhhhing her asleep. Nap time over, she feeds, we have tummy time, bouncy time, reading time, teddy time and batting at toy time. When she tires of these games I sit her in my arms facing out and walk around the house or the block. Lilli's first yawns propel me to the bedroom and the nap rituals begin. The curtains are drawn, the endless ocean wave plays, she's straight-jacketed in the dreaded swaddle and we bounce on the exercise ball. It's not long before her head lolls and I can gently lower her into bed and creep out the door, avoiding the squeaky floor boards (I know them all!). Sometimes I am able to practice half an hour of blissful yoga. I quickly eat lunch before her 45 minute sleep cycle ends and she unhappily awakens shouting for assistance to fall back to sleep. 45 minutes of rocking and shhhing (and a little knitting between rocks) and she's fast asleep. I confess that I let her enjoy this deep sleep for a further half an hour or so. My patience is well rewarded by big gummy smiles when she opens her eyes. She enjoys a long peaceful feed and more play time. The final nap of the day is hard. We're both tired and cranky and I'm lucky if it lasts more than 45 minutes. It's not a moment too soon when Jon arrives home to give us both a break from each other. These past two sunny evenings I have fled the house on my bicycle and revelled in the sense of freedom I find in Wallingford's streets. I'm back home to laugh with Lilli as she splashes in her bath and to soothe her to bed.
Today we broke the happy house routine and ventured out to a toy store. There were so many choices and Lilli loved them all. Dare I bring her as a toddler to this heavenly shop? We picked out a soft giraffe which rattles, tinkles, squeaks and crinkles. Lilli showed the giraffe how much she loved him by gnawing on a crinkly ear. She's avidly chewing her hands and our hands when she can. When they're not in her mouth they're grabbing anything within reach. Hair, clothing, toys and blankets are all fair game. Her aim is much improved and it takes less concentration to make contact with her target. Over the past week we noticed her reaching and holding dangling toys with both hands. And in a very cute development, she holds both hands together, beneath her chin, as though she's deep in thought. That isn't all, though you'd think that acheivement would be quite enough! Over the past couple of days she mastered the tummy to back roll and is very adept at holding her head and shoulders up during tummy time. She visually tracks me as I move about the room and will turn to me when I talk. However, while enjoying our vacation rental's cable TV, we were warily amused to see Lilli crane her head to watch the show. I'm also rather convinced that she recognises my silly songs since she now grins in what seems like happy anticipation when I warble the beginning lines of Old MacDonald's Farm or The Wheels on the Bus .... ahhhh! Her most adorable new skill is holding eye contact. After feeding she lies peacefully on my lap gazing up at me with her wide eyes and a big smile and a look that says "I love you Mummy."
No comments:
Post a Comment