L has been talking about flying places for a while. Not in an airplane, but rather like a bird. Yesterday she decided it was time to give it a go. She was skipping around the garden wearing her butterfly wings while I was making supper. She called in through the window that she wanted to fly to Jamie's house and was that ok? "Sure" I replied with a smile. She reminded me that I wouldn't be able to see her though. We have a rule that she stays within view of the kitchen window. "Oh, don't worry, you'll be up in the air where I can see you." She started putting together a collection of treasures (flowers, rocks, grass) to take with her and give to Jamie. "Okay Mummy. I'm going now." She decided for the best take-off she needed a large patch of grass. She ran into the center of the lawn and jumped and reached her body skywards. Nothing happened. She tried again. I could see all the muscles in her necks stretch taut as she pointed her nose to the clouds and tried to will herself into the air. "Mummy, I can't fly" she sobbed as she ran to me for comfort. She was devastated. I was surprised. I thought this was a pretend game. I assumed that she knew she couldn't fly. But the big tears, jutting lower lip and sad face told another story. How wonderful to have such a firm belief that dress-up fairy wings could make you fly. How dissapointed you must feel when that certainty crumbles. We talked about Frank the Frog, a character in a book, who desperately wanted to fly. The book's final line sums it up succinctly:
"Frank had wanted to fly. But he was a frog. And frogs can't fly ..... but they sure can swim!"
However, as L pointed out, Frank does fly. Thanks to two birds who take him for a ride. That's it!! L ran into the garden and yelled "BIRDS, BIRDS, COME HERE." No birds. I pointed out that she might be scaring them away by yelling so loudly. She didn't buy this argument. I suggested that maybe they don't understand. Did she understand their language? This was a good point. She shouted "CHIRP, CHEEP, CHEEP." Still no birds. She looked at me in frustration. "Mummy, you need to call for the birds too so they can help me fly." Hmmmm. I figured now was about time to gently destroy the dream. We talked about why we made airplanes, helicopters and hang-gliders. She understood. What other things does she believe she can do? What wonderful creatures are real to her. She certainly doesn't believe in fairies, which I find a little sad. But she is convinced she can swim ..... "But I CAN swim. Like I did in the deep hot tub at the swimming pool" she informed J and I tonight at bath time when we were discussing swimming lessons. Time to sign her up. That is at least one thing she will be able to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment