Monday, May 5, 2008

Copacabana

We arrived in Puno yesterday. It's a lively town on the shore of Lake Titicaca. We've decided not to venture to the reed islands (the exploited star attraction), but to spend the day exploring the town and shopping for a Peruvian alpaca sweater for Jon. Though the only alpaca I've seen around here is on the menu, which I'm avoiding along with the roast guinea pig! I'm sticking to simple food for a while. I'm feeling much better today and am rigidly sticking to the regimen of antibiotics the travel doctor in Seattle prescribed for us.

Tomorrow we leave for Cusco on the Inca Express bus, a luxury tour bus that stops at various Inca ruins on route. We're just excited to be travelling on a modern coach with comfortable seats, a clean bathroom and a responsible driver!! We'll probably spend a week in Cusco since there is so much to see (Machu Picchu and plenty of other fascinating sites, beautiful mountains, cathedrals constructed from stones taken from Inca temples, colonial villages, and ancient baths since the Incas were firm believers of bathing unlike the smelly Spanish conquistadors!!). From Cusco we'll hopefully fly to Lima and then take a bus to Huaraz where we'll spend some time trekking in the high Andes. But we'll be in touch again from Cusco!!

No comments: